The MOSAIC project aims to foster R&D cooperation between Europe and Mediterranean Partner Countries under European and third country programmes. MOSAIC focuses on Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) and how ICT can support common EU-MED societal challenges among which Health and wellbeing, Food and agriculture, Clean Energy, Green Integrated Transport and Risk Management for critical issues such as Climate Action and Secure Societies.
In order to strengthen cooperation between EU-MED stakeholders MOSAIC will set-up sustainable mechanisms between European organisations and Mediterranean organisations, MOSAIC proposes the creation of 2 Technology Platforms (TPs):
• MED-TP1 covering Maghreb countries (Algeria, Morocco, Tunisia, Libya).
• MED-TP2 covering Mashriq countries (Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Palestinian administrated areas,Syria Arab Republic Syria).
The major outcome/objective of this project will be/is to create the basic pillars and infrastructures (MED-TPs) for the promotion of cooperation between Europe and MED countries in the field of ICT and contributions of ICT to identified societal challenges. Taking into account this high level objective, it was considered that the organisational model chosen by the project should maximize the synergies with the already existing European model to obtain a broader and more efficient impact of the project results. This will be achieved through the following objectives:
– Analyze potential areas of cooperation between Europe and MED countries around the thematic area of ICT and applications of ICT to Societal challenges.
– Identify key stakeholders to launch and run TPs in MED countries including representatives from industrial (large companies and SMEs) and academic sectors.
– Promote and support the creation of TPs in MED countries, including the production of both organizational documents (governance, structure, etc.) and technical documents (Vision, Strategic Research Agenda), as tools to set up sustainable scientific cooperation with Europe.
– Create a Global Strategy for EU-MED cooperation in the field of ICT and ICT applications to Societal challenges.
– Liaise MED-TPs with European counterparts, and contribute to update the European International Cooperation strategy.
– Increase awareness on the potentialities for cooperation between Europe and MED countries in the fields of ICT and ICT applications to Societal challenges.
The MED-TPs that will be created by MOSAIC are instruments that will support dialogues between European stakeholders and strategic partners in the Mediterranean region, to foster bi-lateral cooperation in R&D projects within the EU’s Framework Programmes (Horizon 2020) and also under relevant MED country programmes.
MED-TPs will be key tools to reinforce industrial cooperation on ICT research and development and bridge the gap between research and the market, as they will allow better networking between European ICT Technology Platforms and relevant associations in MED countries, in order to strengthen cooperative research links around a selected set of research/societal topics.
MED-TPs will pave the way to set-up sustainable mechanisms for enhancing cooperation between European organisations and relevant leading MED organisations.
MOSAIC will stimulate collaboration and build cooperation EU-MEDA around ICT and support the concept of ICT is good for development, taking into account the policy for EU-MED countries from DG Connect.